Child custody determinations have a major impact on the lives of both the children and the parents. If you are facing divorce or separation, preserving your relationship with your children is likely a foremost concern. Wisconsin law recognizes that children generally benefit from maintaining solid relationships with both parents.
Protecting Your Parental Rights · Traditional And Low-Conflict Solutions
At the family law practice of Jacobson Legal Group, S.C., in Brookfield, our child custody attorney understands the paramount importance of your parental rights. We also understand the emotional turmoil that often accompanies divorce. Our lawyers provide thoughtful legal counsel to assist clients in achieving favorable outcomes with an eye toward minimizing the emotional and economic toll of divorce.
Attorney Karyn Gimbel Youso devotes her practice exclusively to family law and knows the latest developments in child custody law, in resolving custody disputes and skillfully advocates for for her clients in and out of court.
Our practice offers a unique blend of strengths and experience in both low-conflict and traditional approaches to divorce.
Understanding Child Custody
In Wisconsin, there are several aspects of child custody:
- Legal custody refers to the legal authority to make major decisions in your children’s lives. Courts presume that both parents are entitled to joint legal custody.
- Placement refers to the physical care of the children. Courts generally strive to maximize the amount of time each parent physically spends with the children.
- Visitation refers to a noncustodial parent’s right to parenting time with the children.
Custody and placement decisions must be based on the best interests of the child, as approved by the court. Several considerations factor into this determination, including:
- The age of the children
- The health of the parents and children
- The children’s adjustment to their home, school and community
- The children’s relationships with extended family
- The children’s preferences (if they are old enough)
When the parents live in different states, special legal considerations apply to the custody determination. Our attorneys are familiar with these considerations. We provide experienced legal guidance for parents facing interstate custody disputes.
Once the initial custody arrangement is established, changes in life circumstances may warrant modifying the arrangement to better fit the children’s needs. Court approval must be obtained for modifications, including proposed relocations or move-aways. Our firm represents clients seeking or opposing such modifications.
Waukesha County Child Visitation Attorneys Offering Initial Flat-Fee Consultations · Serving Entire Metro Area
To arrange an initial flat-fee consultation with one of our lawyers, contact us online or call 262-780-0460.